menu

patrimony

With millenary traditions, this region is fertile in important buildings, some classified by UNESCO, that perpetuate the history of these people.
  • Sanctuary of Our Lady of Fatima

    Sanctuary of Our Lady of Fatima

    Built in 1928 with limestone, typical from the region (mainly from Moimento, where Luz Houses is held), it has two magnificent basilicas and side aisle.

    Recognized as the "Altar of the World” welcomes in pilgrimage and prayer thousands of believers from all over the world, especially in the annual pilgrimage of May 13 and in on the 13th of each month, from May to October.

    A must visit to the imposing neoclassical basilica that stands in the heart of the Sanctuary of Fatima and the tombs of the three little shepherds inside. The small Chapel of the Apparitions is also worth a visit, since it marks the site of the apparitions of Our Lady of Fatima.

    Must visit the large section of the Berlin Wall next to the chapel (symbol of the end of Communism, revealed as one of Fatima's secrets).

    On the opposite side of the square is the new Basilica of the Most Holy Trinity, the fourth largest Christian church in the world, a spectacular contemporary building with capacity for 8,500 people seated.

    Distance from Luz Houses
    . By car 3km/5min
    . Walking 1,3km/7min
    GPS_ 39.631169,-8.673211 Site_ www.santuario-fatima.pt
  • way of the cross, fÁTIMA

    way of the cross, fÁTIMA

    One of the most popular routes of Fatima. It begins in the Santa Teresa Round Abound (South Rotunda), ending at the Hungarian Calvary Chapel.

    It is a representative path of the route taken by Jesus Christ carrying the Cross, from the Praetorium of Pilate to the Mount Calvary,  upon the episode of the Crucifixion.

    The trail consists of fifteen illustrative stations (fourteen of the Crucifixion, plus one from the Resurrection of Jesus Christ), offered by the Hungarian people, is made by Christians meditating in prayer through Christ's Passion.

    Distance from Luz Houses
    . Walking 1 km/5 min
    GPS_ 39.625209, -8.666850 Site_ www.santuario-fatima.pt
  • Loca do Anjo, fÁTIMA

    Loca do Anjo, fÁTIMA

    Where children received the first and third visits of the "Angel of Peace" (Spring and Autumn 1916).

    The images that appear there the Angel and the three children are the author of Maria Amélia Carvalheira da Silva.

    The grid, wrought iron, is the work of Domingos Soares Branco.

    Distance from Luz Houses
    . By car 2,1km/4min
    . Walking 1,7km/10min
    GPS_ 39.616128, -8.670465 Site_ www.santuario-fatima.pt
  • Village of Aljustrel, fÁTIMA

    Village of Aljustrel, fÁTIMA

    Located about 1.5 km from the center of Cova da Iria, the village of Aljustrel was the birthplace of the Fatima seers.

    This feature confered the village a special importance, differentiating it from the surrounding places, and becoming therefore a must-visit spot for most of Fatima pilgrims. The houses of the seers are preserved and, in beside its mystical environment, they are considered a valuable way of life of the testimony in the early twentieth century.

    The concern with the preservation of areas related to life of the seers and memories left by Sister Lucy meant the development of a small rural nucleus, with a museum-meaining, for it is formed by houses traditionally built in Aljustrel.

    Distance from Luz Houses
    . By car 2,1km/4min
    . Walking 1,7km/10min
    GPS_ 39.615956,-8.66418 Site_ www.santuario-fatima.pt
  • Shrine of Our Lady of Ortiga, fÁTIMA

    Shrine of Our Lady of Ortiga, fÁTIMA

    According to tradition, the Virgin would have appeared to a young mute shepherdess, who asked for a sheep. At that moment, the child began to speak, saying that she could not do so without his father's consent.

    The girl ran home to tell his father that and hearing her speak he was extremely pleased and ordered his daughter to do all that the lady asked. On returning to the site, the Virgin asked the girl for a chapel to be built there, marking that place.

    When the girl's father went to where the Virgin would have appeared, he found the imagem of Our Lady over a rock, wrapped in Ortigas.

    All first Sunday of July and the next two days pilgrimages where made by the inhabitants of Fatima and surroundings of the site, marking a Tuesday lunch as the ex-libris, for families of Fatima traditionally gather to eat lunch in parks this small sanctuary.

    In the past, young people dating were part of this festival and it was said that ‘a date that stars in Ortiga is a respectful one. "It was also here that boys who would serve for the troops gathered, placing them one
    by one on top of the cistern to receive the blessing.

    Distance from Luz Houses
    . By car 6km/9min
    . Walking 6km/1hmin
    GPS_ 39.605657, -8.625809
  • windmills viewpoint, fÁTIMA

    windmills viewpoint, fÁTIMA

    In the hill of the mills of Fatima one can find a magnificent view over the city of Fatima and over Ourém Castle.

    In this area we can still admire two resistant disabled windmills, and get lost in the contemplation of the statue of Our Lady Of Mercy, built by the Union of Portuguese Mercies.

    Distance from Luz Houses
    . By car 3,5km/7min
    . Walking 3,1km/25min
    GPS_ 39.621643, -8.648406
  • Alcobaça Monastery

    Alcobaça Monastery

    The Monastery of Santa Maria de Alcobaça, also known as Royal Abbey of Santa Maria de Alcobaça or more simply as the Monastery of Alcobaça is the first fully Gothic work built on Portuguese soil. It was started in 1178 by Cistercian monks.

    It is classified as World Heritage by UNESCO and a National Monument since 1910 IPPAR. On July 7, 2007 was elected as one of the seven wonders of Portugal.

     
    Distance from Luz Houses
    . By car 33,6km/23min
    GPS_ 39.548121, -8.979394 Site_ www.mosteiroalcobaca.pt
  • Castle of ourém

    Castle of ourém

    Ourém´s Castle is a National Monument representing a landmark in the history of this region, scenery of great medieval events, and territorial disputes. Surrounded by the historic city center, on a hill stands the Ourém Castle.

    Triangular plant, the castle consists of three towers, with the center is a yard with a huge ogival tank, fed by a water source. The south side is the Palace of Count D. Afonso, who gave this military structure, a palatial present.

    Distance from Luz Houses
    . By car 12,4km/18min
    . Walking 10,1 km/2h11min
    GPS_ 39.642570, -8.591942 Site_ www.museu.cm-ourem.pt
  • Castle of porto de mós

    Castle of porto de mós

    Can be seen in the distance for its towers, large and green, of beaked form, which makes this castle one of the most original of our country. Conquered from the Moors by D. Afonso Henriques, that later got palatial characteristics, due to the intervention of D. Sancho I, King Dinis and Afonso, Conde de Ourem. Of the five towers originally built, three remain today, due to Arab invested constant and, later, to the various earthquakes suffered.

    Distance from Luz Houses
    . By car 14,4km/25min
    GPS_ 39.603333, -8.818889 Site_ www.municipio-portodemos.pt
  • Castle of  Torres Novas

    Castle of Torres Novas

    Torres Novas Castle served as the Arab fortress before the beginning of the Christian reconquest and was definitely reconquered in 1190 by Alfonso, son of Sancho I.

    The numerous enemy attacks, both from the Moors and during the war period with Castile and later the 1755 earthquake, caused the constant destruction of the walls of this castle. After several reconstruction works, the castle of Torres Novas was classified as a national monument.

    Distance from Luz Houses
    . By car 31,4km/24min
    GPS_ 39.478959, -8.541185 Site_ www.cm-torresnovas.pt
  • Castle of  Penela

    Castle of Penela

    This castle dates back at least to Roman period from were the road Merida - Conímbriga - Braga was guarded. In 716 AD was invaded by the Arabs and conquered in the XI century by Count D. Sesnando, the governor of Coimbra.

    The struggles against the Moors and the passage of time led to successive enlargements and restoration of the castle. The loss of defensive importance of this castle led to lack of maintenance and the population began to remove the stones to other buildings, getting more damaged.

    In 1940 began its restoration work under the still existing structures, and remained until the present day. Here are held several annual events such as replay of a medieval fair, mounting a giant cristian crib and other events that have come to value and streamline this castle.

    Distance from Luz Houses
    . By car 94,9km/53min
    GPS_ 40.029845, -8.390958 Site_ www.cm-penela.pt
  • ÓBIDOS

    ÓBIDOS

    Once the wedding present to a Queen, the preserved medieval town of Óbidos lying 80 km north of Lisbon is without doubt one of Portugal's most interesting walled settlements. When strolling along the maze of narrow cobbled streets of Óbidos, at each step, one comes upon vestiges of different civilizations.

    From the hidden corners and high walled gardens of the old medina area, to the gothic, Renaissance and Baroque features, the Town is an extensive work of art carved, destroyed and rebuilt throughout many centuries.

    Distance from Luz Houses
    . By car 86,2km/52min
    GPS_ 39.362565, -9.158360 Site_ www.obidos.pt
  • Reguengo do fetal

    Reguengo do fetal

    Reguengo do Fetal is a small town of great beauty and tradition.

    Every year on the first Sunday of October the feast of Our Lady From Fetal is held- also known as the Procession of the snails, for the whole village is illuminated by thousands of lamps made with snail-shell, oil and wick.

    In the land around the village words are written and figures drown on the ground with the same lamps.

    Distance from Luz Houses
    . By car 11,4km/15min
    . Walking 9,7km/1h55min
    GPS_ 39.67337, -8.756533 Site_ www.freguesia-reguengodofetal.pt
  • Collegiate church, oURÉM

    Collegiate church, oURÉM

    In 1445, D. Afonso granted permission from the Pope to establish the Collegiate Church of Our Lady Of Mercy of Ourem in this medieval village.

    In 1755, this temple was destroyed by the earthquake and was rebuilt respecting the dimensions and previous building plans, by Joseph I, from 1758 to 1766.

    Inside the Collegiate Church one can find the crypt housing the tomb of D. Afonso IV Conde de Ourem, founded in the century. XV, also known as Valencia Marquis Chapel.

    Distance from Luz Houses
    . By car 12,4km/18min
    . Walking 10,1 km/2h11min
    GPS_ 39.643394, -8.592259 Site_ www.museu.cm-ourem.pt
  • Shrine of our lady of the encarnation, LEIRIA

    Shrine of our lady of the encarnation, LEIRIA

    Situated in the old St. Gabriel Mount, this church offers a view of the entire city of Leiria.

    Before the construction of the Church of Our Lady of the Incarnation, there layed a small chapel dedicated to St. Gabriel Angel.

    Later, following the Council of Trent, was reconstructed and dedicated to Our Lady of the Incarnation.

    Distance from Luz Houses
    .By car 24,7km/20min
    GPS_ 39.738921, -8.800158 Site_ www.visiteleiria.pt
  • San Francisco´s church, Leiria

    San Francisco´s church, Leiria

    In 1232 was probably the date of construction of the first convent of St. Francis de Leiria.

    Its installation in this city was processed within some controversy, but obtained the protection of Pope Gregory IX.

    In 1232 the monks would eventually won the sympathy and the hearts of the people.

    Distance from Luz Houses
    . By car 22km/25,3min
    GPS_ 39.748469, -8.804460
  • Synagogue of Tomar

    Synagogue of Tomar

    Synagogue of Tomar is the only Hebrew proto-renaissance temple existing in our country.

    Was built in the XV century  and closed in 1496, when the expulsion of the Jews from Portugal took place, being later converted into a prison.

    In the XVII century is referred to as the Chapel of St. Bartholomew and the XIX century served as a barn, haystack, grocery warehouse and storage.

    In 1939 it was donated to the Portuguese State upon the condition of being installed Luso-Hebrew Museum Abraham Zacuto, that can today be visited and where is found a considerable vast of objects donated by Jewish communities around the world.

    Distance from Luz Houses
    . By car 36,5km/34min
    GPS_ 39.603201, -8.413787 Site_ www.cm-tomar.pt/index.php/sinagoga
  • Roman´s Road, aLQUEIDÃO DA SERRA

    Roman´s Road, aLQUEIDÃO DA SERRA

    In Alqueidão locality of Serra, belonging to the Porto de Mos municipality, we can find an old Roman road that was the connection between Nazareth and take, and have served mainly to the exploitation of iron ore by the Romans.

    This road sets the mood for the development of a pedestrian route.

    Distance from Luz Houses
    . By car 12,2km/19min
    . Walking 9,7km/2h01min
    GPS_ 39.610556, -8.769444 Site_ www.municipio-portodemos.pt
  • Açude Real, Torres Novas

    Açude Real, Torres Novas

    The Açude Real (Real Dam) is an old dam masonry that was, for a long time, the driving force of various industries that settled in the area of the Caldeirão, moving the hydraulic wheel from the former Factory of the Chitas (Cheetahs).

    These waters were also diverted through a ditch to water the gardens, by moving the mills of the Duke of Coimbra, Jorge de Lencastre, and the vats nearby.

    Distance from Luz Houses
    . By car 33,6km/23min
    GPS_ 39.479995, -8.536553 Site_ www.cm-torresnovas.pt
  • Valinhos, fÁTIMA

    Valinhos, fÁTIMA

    Located in the Mount of Valinhos, close to Aljustrel village, it was the site of the 4th apparition of Our Lady on August 19, 1917.

    The monument that marks the event was built with offerings from Hungarian Catholics.

    The image was carved by Maria Amélia Carvalheira da Silva and the niche in which it is was designed by António Lino.

    Distance from Luz Houses
    . By car 2km/4min
    . Walking 1,5km/8min
    GPS_ 39.618566, -8.668096 Site_ www.santuario-fatima.pt
  • Hungarian Calvary, fÁTIMA

    Hungarian Calvary, fÁTIMA

    Inaugurated in 1956, it is a monument to the Crucified Jesus, located at the top of the Chapel of St. Stephen (Patron Saint of Hungary), or Chapel of the Hungarian Calvary, from this place there is a panoramic view of Fatima and the Valinhos.

    The Chapel was offered by Hungarian refugees during the reestablishment of the Soviet Union in Hungary after the Hungarian revolution, begun in Budapest in 1956.

    Distance from Luz Houses
    . Walking 800m/5min
    GPS_ 39.6175562,-8.671377 Site_ www.santuario-fatima.pt
  • well of the little shepherds (or Arneiro´S WELL), FÁTIMA

    well of the little shepherds (or Arneiro´S WELL), FÁTIMA

    Back in the yard of the Lúcia’s house, the well where the "Angel of Peace" or "Angel of Portugal", appeared for the second time (summer 1916).

    Distance from Luz Houses
    . By car 2,1km/4min
    . Walking 1,7km/10min
    GPS_ 39.615413,-8.664877 Site_ www.santuario-fatima.pt
  •  Parish church of Fátima

    Parish church of Fátima

    Here the shepherds were baptized, received they’re first communion and where two of them were buried before being transferred to the Shrine of Fatima.

    Distance from Luz Houses
    . By car 3,1km/5min
    . Walking 2,9km/20min
    GPS_ 39.617838, -8.653219 Site_ www.santuario-fatima.pt
  • casal farto, fÁTIMA

    casal farto, fÁTIMA

    Casal Farto is a small village that stood still in time, where one can find a large concentration of various types of cisterns.

    Strolling through the narrow cobbled road, we can find a valuable sundial placed on top of a house, dating from 1682, facing a gothic chapel, sent erect on the fourteenth or fifteenth century,  dedicated to Mary the Rosary (Our Lady of the Rosary).

    Distance from Luz Houses
    . By car 8,3km/12min
    . Walking 7,2km/1h30min
    GPS_ 39.574932, -8.622911
  • batalha

    batalha

    Batalha was the stage of great historical moments, from the presence of the Romans to the struggles for independence.

    It was the victory of the Battle of Aljubarrota that led to the construction of the Monastery of Santa Maria da Batalha, considered as world heritage by UNESCO and is a pole of attraction that led to the town of Batalha.

    To the exit of this village we can admire a flyover of neo-Gothic style, called Bridge Boutaca, which has four pavilions of the romantic style, formerly used as portageiros house.

    Distance from Luz Houses
    . By car 18,3km/24min
    GPS_ 39.659115, -8.826267 Site_ www.mosteirobatalha.pt
  • the convent of christ, TOMAR

    the convent of christ, TOMAR

    The Convent of Christ, a historic monument in the city of Tomar (parish S. Joao Baptist), a UNESCO World Heritage Site, belonged to the Knights Templar. This is a peri-urban construction, located high on a hilltop elevation to the plain where the city extends. Is surrounded by the walls of the Castle of Tomar and the forest fence.

    Distance from Luz Houses
    . By car 36,5km/35min
    GPS_ 39.603684, -8.417888 Site_ www.conventocristo.pt
  • Castle of Almourol

    Castle of Almourol

    It is one of the most iconic medieval military monuments and scenographic from the Reconquista-period, being simultaneously one of the best evokes the memory of the Templars in our country.

    Located in a small rugged island, the origins of their occupation are quite old and enigmatic.

    In the twentieth century this castle was adapted to the official residence of the Portuguese Republic, which made significant Estado Novo events.

    Distance from Luz Houses
    . By car 54,6km/38min
    GPS_ 39.461912, -8.384247 Site_ www.cm-vnbarquinha.pt
  • Castle of Leiria

    Castle of Leiria

    The watch over the city of Leiria- the towering castle, was the stage of some of the significant events of Portuguese history.

    The beginning of its construction dates from the twelfth century and during its construction, the castle went through several reigns, having suffered the intervention of different kings.

    After several battles, since the fights with Muslims until the Napoleonic Wars, the monument was partially destroyed.

    A visit to this castle is as engrossed in the historical past of Portugal, a trip helped by the Keep, which was recently transformed into a museum center.

    Distance from Luz Houses
    . By car 24km/28,4min
    GPS_ 39.747041, -8.811071
  • Castle of Pombal

    Castle of Pombal

    Pombal Castle is located in Leiria district. In a dominant position upon a rock mass, outside the Arunca river, this Templar castle had a significant role in the defense of the region at the time of affirmation of nationality and subsequently in the county consolidation.


    Distance from Luz Houses
    . By car 51km / 32min
    GPS_ 39.913869, -8.624481 Site_ www.turismodocentro.pt
  • medieval village of ourém

    medieval village of ourém

    The medieval town of Ourém, considered as a cultural heritage building, falls in the middle of a wall, opened by two doors in round arch.

    Strolling through the narrow cobblestone streets, we can admire buildings of various architectural styles from: Baroque, Gothic, Mudejar, Manueline and Pombal-style (pombalino).

    In this small town you can taste some local products, including the traditional 'ginjinha of the castles'.

    Distance from Luz Houses
    . By car 12,4km/18min
    . Walking 10,1 km/2h11min
    GPS_ 39.643394, -8.592259 Site_ www.museu.cm-ourem.pt
  • coimbra

    coimbra

    Home of the oldest university in Portugal, founded in 1290, Coimbra is mainly enlivened by the students who live and study here, but is also rich in monuments and treasures, with a busy commerce and the vibrant presence of the Mondego- the "river of Poets“ as the locals call it proudly, offering visitors the beauty of its banks and feeding the fertile fields of the surrounding valley.

    Coimbra offers many other sites to explore and an extensive calendar of cultural events and entertainment, but is especially lively in May, when students celebrate the end of the academic year with the traditional Burning of the Ribbons, filling the streets with entertainment and music.

    Distance from Luz Houses
    . By car 84,9km/51min
    GPS_ 40.209480, -8.424921 Site_ www.turismodecoimbra.pt
  • Aldeia de Xisto Ferraria de S. João

    Aldeia de Xisto Ferraria de S. João

    Typical village within the great route of the Schist Villages (Aldeias de Xisto).

    Distance from Luz Houses
    . By car 85,9km / 1h03min
    GPS_ 39.973893, -8.323327 Site_ www.aldeiasdoxisto.pt
  • Leiria's cathedral

    Leiria's cathedral

    The Cathedral of Leiria was the starting point of the city growth. The intervention of successive bishops enriched it with different styles, preserved until the present day.

    Distance from Luz Houses
    . By car 25km/21min
    GPS_ 39.746119, -8.806833 Site_ www.visiteleiria.pt
  • shrine of our lord of miracles, LEIRIA

    shrine of our lord of miracles, LEIRIA

    The miracle occurred with a paralytic named Manuel Francisco Mayo, ledding to the construction of this temple in Baroque style. For many years this was the site of pilgrimage par excellence of the center zone, subsequently dethroned by Fatima.

    Today it is the very famous for its floats procession- taking place on the Monday that follows the second end-of-week of September, during which is celebrated the Lord of Miracles Jesus, attracting to this location dozens of people coming throughout the country.

    Distance from Luz Houses
    . By car 27,8km/24min
    GPS_ 39.790878, -8.796955 Site_ www.visiteleiria.pt
  • Cardal´s Church, pombal

    Cardal´s Church, pombal

    Within in the monastery of St. Anthony, this church dominates the center of Pombal. It is the 3rd Earl of Castelo Melhor, Don Luis de Vasconcelos e Sousa, who is due to construction of the convent and later the church.

    During the reign of Pedro II, the clerk of puridade was persecuted and go hide in Pombal, on a corner with thistles, where there were the remains of the tower of the loaves and the Chapel of Our Lady of Jerusalem. With the desperation of persecution, he makes the promise to build a convent there, if it were not discovered, and so it was.

    Distance from Luz Houses
    . By car 48,9km/30min
    GPS_ 39.916622, -8.628820 Site_ www.cm-pombal.pt
  • Anta-chapel of alcobertas, stª maria madalena, aLQUEIDÃO DA SERRA

    Anta-chapel of alcobertas, stª maria madalena, aLQUEIDÃO DA SERRA

    The Anta Alcobertas, dated from the late Neolithic Final (4000-3500 BC), is one of the largest in the Iberian Peninsula.

    Was transformed into Catholic church by locals and was held as a side chapel of the current parish church.

    Distance from Luz Houses
    By car 55,4km/55min
    GPS_ 39.418615, -8.903800 Site_ www.monumentos.pt
  • Roman´s Ruins of Vila Cardílio, TORRES nOVAS

    Roman´s Ruins of Vila Cardílio, TORRES nOVAS

    These ruins are located about 3 km from Torres Novas, near Caveira village. This area was known by the locals that collected stone for the house construction, but its archaeological exploration only began under the influence of the Municipality of Torres Novas.

    From this exploration a vast collection was gathered including Coins from II, III and IV AD centuries, ceramics, bronzes, Assyrian and Egyptian glass, colored plasters, rings and even a statue of Eros.

    The foundations of a building with brightly colored mosaics was also discovered, with agricultural motifs, the portraits of the owners of the houses and Latin inscriptions- giving rise to the name of this archaeological site - 'Cardilium' (the likely owner of this farm), that included a garden, and water and heat distribution system.

    Distance from Luz Houses
    . By car 34,9km/24min
    GPS_ 39.452771, -8.528421 Site_ https://www.guiadacidade.pt/pt/poi-ruinas-romanas-vila-cardilio-14027
  • Quinta da Torre de Santo António, tORRES nOVAS

    Quinta da Torre de Santo António, tORRES nOVAS

    The Solar Quinta do Marquês is one of the rare neo-Manueline civil buildings, major, existing in Portugal, with parallels in the Pena Palace in Sintra, Palace of Regaleira, Buçaco Palace.

    Alongside the revivalist like were included original elements: 2 Manueline windows (coming from Batalha) on the south facade a relieved Mannerist panel on the east facade, panels of Baroque and Rococo tiles in the main staircase and in the halls of the main floor. Ceramic tile flooring Art Nouveau in one of the bathrooms.

    Distance from Luz Houses
    . By car 33,6km/23min
    GPS_ 39.499756,-8.520114
scroll